Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Reece clan (ca 1929)


Left to right: (back row) Florence Mabel Reece (nee Underhill), George Melvin Reece; (front row) George John Reece, Norman Duane Reece, Wallace Richard Reece, Lloyd Jasper Reece (my father)

This picture was taken in the backyard of the family's Niagara Falls, NY home at 2413 North Avenue some time after they moved to the USA from Canada. The house behind them is 2415 North Avenue. Many years later my Uncle Wally owned and lived at 2415, and later still, my brother Mick owned it and lived there for a number of years.

Immigration documents show that my grandfather, a carpenter, emigrated from Canada in early December 1927. He probably commuted back and forth across the Niagara River while finding and/or preparing a new home for his family. The whole family officially made the move in mid-September 1928. Although I originally thought this photo had been taken around that time, Uncle Norm has pointed out that the apparent ages of the children (himself included) would seem to indicate that it may have actually been taken the following year. Their ages in 1929 would have been (roughly): Florence 25, George 32; George 7, Lloyd 6, Wally 4, Norm 2. The youngest child, Gerry, hadn't been born yet. She arrived on the scene in April 1930.

1 comment:

Saginaw said...

Hi there
To Sarah Underhill - I would just like to say to you that your photo is very nice indeed to say the least.
I am an "Underhill" from the Michigan State Heritage. Origins UK. I am proud to be a member of the "Underhill" family. I live in New Zealand, born & bred here.