Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Clovers Hockey Team


Front row, left to right: Johnny Rimanosky; Chet Kaifas; Larry Snyder (not listed in program); Al Lang; Lloyd Reece; Billy Wilson.
Back row, left to right: Vic Raham (Rahm?) (manager); Wally Reece; George Reece; Frank Regan (Reagan?); Gordy Lawie (Lawley or Lawrie?); Don Snyder (not listed in program); Alex (Alec?) Lyall; Eddie Kaufman (coach).

This is one of my favorite old photos, the Clovers hockey team. The picture was probably taken sometime between 1940 and 1942. According to my Uncle Wally, the league was located in Niagara Falls, NY, but played at the arena in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I think there were 3 divisions, Junior, Intermediate and Senior. The Clovers were in the Intermediate division. Most, but not all of the players in the photo are listed on a March 1942 Clovers team roster, including all three Reece boys.

I have names for everyone in the photo. The catch is, I have more than one spelling for some, and I’m not sure which is correct. To maintain a little consistency, I’ve used the spelling from the old program first, and in parentheses I’ve put the spelling(s) as my father ( Lloyd) and his brothers, Wally and Norm had remembered them. Some further research might help to clarify the names and the correct year of the photo.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Chet Kaifas is my grandfather. As far as I know, the family name has always been spelled without the 'z', although it may have changed when the family came over from Poland.

Thanks for posting this picture.

John said...

Your input is greatly appreciated, Steve. I met Chet quite a few years ago and he struck me as being a really nice guy. My father always spoke of him with the highest regard.

I've made the appropriate changes to the posting. Thanks again.

J.R.

Joe Barrick said...

I would like to get in touch with CHET KAIFAS, he was my hockey coach for a couple years when I played Junior hockey and would like to talk to him. Can anyone help me....my name is Joe Barrick jbarrick07@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My name is Ernest Rimanosky. I believe Johnny Rimanosky is one of my great uncles. We knew him as Jack Rimanosky and he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs for a short time. He was asked by Carl Voss to be a referee for the NHL. At one time, I had a Genesee Beer calling card that Mr. Voss wrote his invitation on. I was wondering if anyone knew what Jack Rimanosky's jersey number was, or if the jerseys even had numbers at the time.

Anonymous said...

Ernest Rimanosky's email address: erimanosky@yahoo.com